Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Miss Charming

Over Christmas break I devoured the Emmy award winning series, Dowton Abbey. (Thank goodness for Netflix!)  I'm totally hooked on it and can't wait for the new season to begin this coming Sunday! (pbs) If you love Jane Austin you will love this storyline.  It's set in England in the early 1900's and follows the lives of an Earl and his 3 daughters. They live in the most beautiful castle and have a boat load of servants which, relentlessly seem to stir up more drama than a  telenovela!  Of course I am drawn to the costume design and hairdo's of the period, they are just exquisite! But also, I love the etiquette and the traditions of housekeeping that have been lost today.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not pinning away after all of those tedious chores but some of them are quite lovely.  One beautiful tradition is the setting of the formal table.
For those of us who need a refresher course, I found Emily Post’s instructions most helpful.  For a special dinner, a well set table is most charming, and ever so glam! xoxo -Taj


For a basic table setting, here are two great tips to help you -- or your kids -- remember the order of plates and utensils:
  1. Picture the word "FORKS." The order, left to right, is: F for Fork, O for the Plate (the shape!), K for Knives and S for Spoons. (Okay -- you have to forget the R, but you get the idea!)
  2. Holding your hands in front of you, touch the tips of your thumbs to the tips of your forefingers to make a lowercase 'b' with your left hand and a lowercase 'd' with your right hand. This reminds you that "bread and butter" go to the left of the place setting and "drinks" go on the right. Emily Post could have used that trick -- she was often confused about which bread and butter belonged to her -- and sometimes she used her neighbor's! In which case, when it was called to her attention, she would say to the dismayed lady or gentleman, "Oh, I am always mixing them up. Here, please take mine!"
Some other things to know:
  • Knife blades always face the plate
  • The napkin goes to the left of the fork, or on the plate
  • The bread and butter knife are optional
    (via Emily Post)

27 comments:

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Thanks for the lesson :-D The china in the top picture looks absolutely stunning! xo

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I was taught all this my by parents and at boarding school;-)

Katie said...

We had formal dinners in the sorority once a week - most of it has stuck with me but its good to have reminders!

fifi said...

thank you for the refresher! the fanciest i get these days is having my pizza or ribs with a knife and fork and when i do this everyone looks at me funny! lol xo

VMcreation-fashion-studio-atelier said...

Just really USEFULL!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,darling Taj:-)))*

Love to you,
***Violetta***

Fay said...

wasnt it fun Taj and Maggie Smith is fantastique !! enjoy the next series fay xxx

Kavery said...

I like reading about stuff like this. Emily Post is a great rescource to turn to. Happy New Year Taj.

Silvertigo said...

Great, great post... Must be said that in Finland, we usually don't set the table like that even for our weddings... :D Can you believe that? xoxo

Kendra Alexandra said...

Very interesting!
I've been looking for a new blog to follow for
ages and I think yours is it!
This post is great and i'm going to have to
go back through old posts now.

I hope you can check mine out and maybe even follow

Kendra
xx

www.stoleninspiration.com/

Punctuation Mark said...

it amazes me how few people know how to set up a table... great post!

Samantha said...

Thanks for the great tips! I always forget how to set a perfect place setting!

Your newest follower! xo, sam

Stacey said...

Great post! One can always use a refresher. Happy New Year! xx

TheGirlAtFirstAvenue said...

This such an interesting post! I love setting tables in such an elaborate fashion!

A Casa da Vá said...

Oh no I will get addicted on this show!

xoxo
http://acasadava.blogspot.com/

Abby said...

Oh I love this SO much!!! I am a huge fan of etiquette and good manners and I'm so glad my parents taught me this when I was younger. Knowing how to set a table properly NEVER goes out of style! I will definitely have to check out that series as well. Thank you! :)

Katrina said...

Oh wow thank you for this post ...I love formal china, I think dinner parties of yester year is a dying art. I believe a ressurection is in order , I will have to check out the show and ditto on Netflix love. :)

whitney said...

Oh, this is adorable! I'm definitely not trained in dinner etiquette and found this extremely helpful :)

Karina Dinda R. said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. You have a great blog, mind to follow each other? ^^

Cheers,
Karina Dinda R. ♥
BLOG | TWITTER | SHOP

georgia~gigi said...

Now thats's a spread!
I am going to check that our of Netfix, sounds just lovely!
Happy Thursday Taj :)
xo
gi gi

Curves Ahead Make up said...

wow love the plates and this post so different love it hope you had amazing holiday hope to get together this 2012 !!!

a displaced floridian said...

I need to watch that show!

Bobbi said...

That show sounds really interesting, I'm going to have to watch it!
I never knew how to set a formal table, so thanks!

amy b.s. said...

those are some great tricks!

la petite coquine said...

I haven't gotten into Downton Abbey yet, but a perfectly laid table is reason enough to start watching in my mind!

Josie said...

I'm obsessed with Emily Post when it comes to last-minute etiquette tips! This is perfection.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Stephani Janet said...

thanks for the comment! :)

deadlyinlove said...

very usefull! thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...