Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pink Heart

On the way to work this morning I hit the biggest pothole --crater in the earth actually, on the freeway and it sounded like my wheel popped up to San Francisco.  Living in Los Angeles, there's no getting around potholes but this one I'm sure you can see from space. Anyway, my point is, this got me in an even worse mood as I had already been sitting in traffic for over an hour and hadn't sleept at all the night before! Very Glamorous I know. It happens.  Then, I started thinking about a woman who had e-mailed me named Jackie. She does outreach for the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance and had asked me if she could write a short article for my readers about cancer and still feeling beautiful.  I thought, today is the perfect day to share her article. Here I am feeling saucy over traffic and a pothole and this is just what I need to refocus. I hope whatever you face today, this story will encourage you to feel beautiful too. xx -Taj


Feeling Beautiful Doesn't Have to End because of Cancer
By: Jackie Clark
Beauty is more than a narrowly defined term dealing with the aesthetic senses. It is a feeling. It is a motivator. It is power. Beauty for women creates confidence to face each day. Beauty gives women the strength to walk out the door and tackle the problems and issues that may arise. However, for those recently diagnosed with cancer, feeling beautiful can be a difficult, though not impossible a task. Women struggling to find their inner strength and confidence can use fashion as a means to an end.
Every woman knows how it feels to slip on a dress that compliments the body perfectly or wear an eyeshadow that seems to highlight and brighten the eyes. It is intoxicating and invigorating. There is more than one reason why shopaholics find fashion to be a sort of therapy. Looking great usually translates to feeling great. It translates to confidence and excitement to leave the house and turn heads. Too often women diagnosed with cancer want to hide themselves always as if they have some reason to be ashamed. There is no shame in being a fighter, in being a strong, independent and beautiful woman.
Mesothelioma, which is caused by asbestos exposure, is but one form of cancer women may face. In the past, the prognosis for mesothelioma patients was bleak, but there have been significant strides in treatment during recent years.  Finding ways to feel beautiful during treatments like mesothelioma is absolutely essential if patients wish to enjoy a high quality of life.
While cancer may alter certain physical features, fashion can be used as a means to circumvent these effects. Find something you love about yourself and accent it. This can be done with a form-fitting shirt to show off a slim figure. A pair of pants can be used to accent long legs. A new pair of shoes can be used as a way to draw attention away from areas you may not be so thrilled about. While the exterior plays a rather significant role in a woman's perception of herself, beauty starts from the inside. Focus on what you love about yourself and don't let go. Cancer may be able to affect and alter a number of things, but it can't take away a person's inner beauty.


Thanks for the advice Jackie!

22 comments:

fifi said...

incredible post... one of my favorite quotes... my grandmother passed away from mesothelioma and my mom is a breast cancer survivor... cancer sucks!!

Samantha said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. Such a inspirational quote!

xo, sam

*Style of Sam*

Emmanuella said...

aw this post is beautiful!! def made me smile thank you :)

Karen said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing~makes me smile! :)
~Karen
http://fashionboardconfessional.blogspot.com

amy b.s. said...

such a beautiful post!

Fay said...

Hi Taj Im sure a great help to MANY people and a reminder to us all to live each day well Thankyou fay xx

Benedetta (Daddy's neatness) said...

Oh that poignant post...You're very sweet darlin'...

a kisses,

Benedetta

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

What a beautiful post! It's a good reality check when we get bogged down with the annoyances in our life. My two best friends passed away from cancer so I often have to remind myself how precious life is and that my life isn't so bad afterall.

xoxo

Tanvi said...

Thanks for sharing it. Really gives perspective doesn't it ... to stop stressing over the trivialities and start enjoying :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

LINDA said...

Beautiful pictures!

xoxo

Linda from www.moonon.com

Miss Starshiny said...

those pictures are so beautiful!
pink is gorgeous!
xxx
Miss Starshiny

Mikimoto Angel said...

OMG! That looks like a pretty and girly haven for me since I love pink a lot. I wanna visit that place! I hope it's real. :-)

Much love from Mystic Nymph

Johanna said...

I love Jackie's story, she's a brave woman! Thanks for sharing this, Taj! xoxo ♥

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

What a beautiful post, and a reminder to find beauty everywhere!

Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

Hi Taj ~ what a touching and beautiful post. Thank you, Jackie for sharing your thoughts and the quote at the end is simply beautiful. Taj, thanks so much for stopping by ... always a delight ~ and your Valentine will be on its way to you tomorrow! ~xo

Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou
http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

Shabby, Chic, & Cheap said...

Taj the story is just what I needed to read on a day like today. It was a rough night with little sleep and a long day full of cranky patients and clients. The pictures are a gorgeous compliment to the beautiful reminder. Thank you.

xo,
Marissa

Camelia said...

Awe, this is so sweet it made me cry. I love that quote at the end. Those pink photos are just lovely :)

Adele said...

A touching post xoxo
http://www.intotheblonde.com/

Rxqnaesthetics said...

This is beautfiul and every single word in her passage is so true. I may not have the condition that she has but let me tell you when I wear makeup and slip on some new clothing item it does make me feel better not matter what I may be going through. Thank you for sharing.

Andrea said...

i love the first pic <3

Laura Clayderman said...

wow nice pics!
where was that ?? i wish i could discover such place :)
nice quote also!! <3

xx,
http://lalainlaland.blogspot.com

Fé... said...

Thank you for this post, it's very heart-warming :) Have a lovely day!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...