Thursday, June 14, 2012

Glamour Diary: Being Pregnant and Keeping it Glam Part 1


Keeping it glam while being pregnant has been a journey for me.
My first trimester took me out of commission! All I wanted to do was sleep all the time.
I would get home from work and pretty much go straight to bed after eating dinner.
And eating! That was a feat! I couldn't cook, couldn't smell food, couldn't eat
hardly anything without getting nauseous.  And forget going to the grocery store.
I tried that once with the Director and ended up lasting five minutes only to end up running out of
the store like a mad woman with sickness!
I've never puked thankfully, but it definitely isn't fun
having "morning sickness" 24/7 for 3 months straight.

My 2nd trimester was a dream compared to my 1st.
I felt like a human being again, regained my appetite and could
actually be active.  But then there was the dilemma of clothes!
With my first pair of skinny jeans not fitting me, I had a meltdown.
Yep, watching your thighs, bootie and waistline expand is not the greatest.
So I dragged the Director with me to the stores to shop for "maternity" clothes.
Bleh is all I can say.  There is some ugly crap out there. Everyone raves
about old navy maternity jeans, so okay, we go there and I try on 2 pairs.
Even the Director was like, yikes babe! After a few stores it gets daunting.
And ya'll know I'm not the sweats and baggy t-shirt type so that's not gonna fly.
There's gotta be some fabulous clothes for pregnant women that are not ridiculously priced right?
DRESSING GLAM
Plan B.  Make my own rules in the clothing stores. And here's what I've learned.

1. Find one pair of black maternity slacks.  Sears surprisingly has some great ones.
And your bootie won't look like a whale.
2.  Maxi dresses in any and every color.
3. Black leggings. Goes with everything.
4.  I live in Cali so I needed shorts, H&M and Target have great
maternity fitted shorts that look amazballs on. 
5.  Gather up tunics, flowy blouses, lycra tank tops, and empire waist/A-line dresses
Instead of the pretty plain or boring maternity versions, I bought extra larges in regular
clothes. It's worked well and is way cheaper.
6.  Accessories kill it! Scarves, necklaces, bracelets, they do wonders. layer layer layer!
7. Jeans: H&M hands down best fit. Only certain stores have maternity section though.
8. Shoes: Wedges, bejeweled sandals, kitten heels and chunky,
 thick heels if you absolutely must wear them. (guilty!)

These are a few of my suggestions on where to start. I didn't want to spend a ton
on maternity clothes, but I of course wanted to look chic and feel good and it definitely
matters to dress cute while pregnant. It changes your mood and lifts your spirits.

So with this series, I'm going to include my pregnancy favs each diary entry, and this week is books that
have helped me navigate my way thru my first pregnancy.

 Yep you're right, you don't see, What to Expect When Your Expecting! I didn't really jump
on that band wagon. 
I loved reading Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs. It's just plain funny.
Tracie Hotchner's Pregnancy & Childbirth has been my go to for real info.
And my hands down fav is Bump It Up by Amy Tara Koch.
So much great style advice from famous designers and magazine editors etc.
Filipa Fino, Accessories editor, Vogue:
Half of pregnancy has to do with attitude.  Europeans don't gain eighty pounds
when they're pregnant. Eating junk and deciding to look like a slob is a choice.
Adapting who I was to pregnancy-in fashion, at work, at home- kept me feeling
positive during my pregnancies,  I just refused to give into feeling dowdy.
And therefore I did not look dowdy!"
The Hot Mom to Be is a fun fast read, but it's mostly for pleasure and fun.

These are just some of my experiences and likes, everyone is different of course. But I think
pregnancy has been a wonderful experience so far, defintely physically altering, but for
every step of the way, you have to find ways to keep yourself pampered and peaceful.  Adding
glamour is just part of that recipe for me. I'll have more tips on fashion and beauty coming up!
I hope if you're expecting or a mother already, or just one of my fabulous followers, you can appreciate and support another women's journey to the miracle of giving life! xoxo - Keep It Glam! -Taj

22 comments:

Mimi said...

i definitely appreciate other women's journey to motherhood. :) there are many fabulous and loving moms here in the blogging world, and i am amazed by all of you. such great inspirations! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

The Beauty Box said...

Taj, are you pregnant right now? Because I'm :) And I think I'll buy a few books after reading your post.

Elizabeth {Ms Classic Glamour} said...

I remember my mom having the hardest time finding anything "cute" when she was pregnant. What great tips on being fashionable while pregnant, Taj!
I hope you and the baby are doing well!
xoxo

Meggan said...

All such great advice! I am glad you have been able to find what works for you, you have such great style that I have no doubt you look awesome! I love the title of the Hot Mom to Be! Sounds like a fun read!

Shirley Tay said...

Wow! But I'm sure u'll be a gorgeous-looking mom :)

Curves Ahead Make up said...

Love your post !!! love to see how things are going and so glad your doing better !! your going to be the most stylish mom out there !!

big hugs
xoxox
curves

VM Creation Atelier said...

Oh,my Godness..............Taj,sweetheart!
I wish you mostly sweet and lovely time when you beeing pregnant:-)*

It`s not always relly pretty time sometimes,but always is fantastic to look at them later................

Send you my warm hugs,
***Violetta***

Psycho Cat said...

Nice tips, you are going to be a great stylish mom :)

Katie's Bliss said...

Great post! Those all look like fab books for a stylish mommy to be!

katiesbliss.com

Josie said...

Great tips, Taj! I bet you're the glammest pregnant girl ever!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Steven Brown said...

This blog feels so amazing 0:). I am now following. I hope you can check out my site: http://theproverbs.net and FOLLOW. Hope to hear from you soon. 0:) Thanks and God bless

kira said...

Such cute book ideas

Samantha said...

Taj! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had not idea!! That is a blessing! And those books look so cute - really like the quote from Filipa!

xo, sam

Megha Varshini said...

i dint know books were available! this is news..

megha
http://meghafashionista.blogspot.com

Gabrielle @ LookSharpSconnie said...

This is such a great post! Seriously, I am in love with your honest sense of humor, and you almost make me wish I were pregnant so we could commiserate about our experience and the lack of awesome maternity clothes together hahah.

Your advice seems perfect - but a little disconcerting, considering I wear black leggings like every day. Ahhh well.

Those books all look like such great, light-hearted recommendations that probably help keep your spirits up even on morning sickness days. So glad you've gotten mostly past that, though!

Can't wait to see what else is in store for your maternity fashion journey.

-Gabrielle

OneCraftyFox said...

Oh, how I adore you for this post!! I'll bet you are a glamorous and hot mom-to-be already, no books required ;)

These look like really great reads!!

♥ Cassandra (Backtofive) said...

KEEP IT GLAM! Love it! :D

backtofive.blogspot.com

Style Servings said...

I love this!

thepinkmateproject said...

I think this is a great and informative post! love that you are truly embracing your pregnancy! Thank you dear for visiting my blog!

Vanessa

http://thepinkmateproject.blogspot.com/

Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

What an exciting time in your life, Taj. New home, new bebe ... so fabulous! So glad you're feeling great now!!! Have a lovely week, sweetie-pie.

Sandy M
http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com
This Week: "Oh So Moving"

Collections said...

What a great book!

$100 Shopbop GIVEAWAY

A Casa da VĂ¡ said...

Taj I didn't know you are pregnant, what great news! Congratulations my friend, SO happy for you!

Beijos,
http://acasadava.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...