Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Little Paris Kitchen

There are little pleasures in life that I really can't live without: chocolate of course, and another one of them is my favorite cooking show. The Little Paris Kitchen on the Cooking Network.  It's hosted by Rachl Khoo, she is this gorgeous creature who shops the Paris food markets in the most beautiful red lipstick (of course!) and wears her hair in perfect updos all the while looking fabulous! She is an English chef living in Paris and runs the smallest as she says, restaurant in the city (La Petite Cuisine à Paris) from her tiny flat. She makes French cuisine easy even for the skeptic and leaves you drooling for more every episode.  Her lavender glazed chicken is on my list this weekend!  If you haven't seen the show yet, I don't know what you are waiting for! Her style is my inspiration this week, French ooh la la! xoxo -Taj   p.s. Rachel's recipe for Onion & Creme Fraiche Tart are at the bottom of this post!

Pinned Image
Pinned Image

Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image

RACHEL KHOO'S RECIPE FOR TARTE FLAMBÉE (ONION AND CRÈME FRAÎCHE TART)

Provence had Pissaladière, while in Alsace they have tarte flambée, a pizza-style base topped with crème fraîche, lardoons and onions - popular ingredients in Alsatian cuisine.
Gluten-free is a concept that hasn’t quite caught on in the land of baguettes, and it can be frustrating for anyone on a gluten-free diet who wants to try delicious French pastries and bread, so here I’ve replaced the regular wheat base with chestnut flour and tapioca starch. This means no kneading is required – just mix the ingredients together to form a ball.
For a sweet topping, replace the onions and lardoons with thinly sliced apples and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and brown sugar.
Ingredients:
160g chestnut flour*
140g tapioca starch
1 teaspoon guar gum**
1 ½ teaspoons baking poweder
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light soft brown sugar
5g dried yeast
½ teaspoon sugar
190ml warm water
For the topping:
4 tablespoons crème fraîche
2 red onions, thinly sliced
100g lardoons or cubes of smoked bacon
4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
Make the base. Mix together the flour, tapioca starch, guar gum, baking powder, salt and sugar in the warm water. When the yeast begins to foam, pour it into the well and mix everything together to form a ball. Roll out the dough between two pieces of baking powder until it is 5mm thick, then place it into a baking tin that is large enough for the pastry to sit flat. (The shape doesn’t really matter, it’s the 5mm thickness that’s important.) Remove the top layer of paper and trim off any excess paper from around the edges of the bottom piece.
Preheat the oven to 200C and place a large baking tray in the oven to get hot.
Spread the crème fraîche over the dough, then sprinkle the onions, lardoons and thyme leaves on top. Slide the baking tin onto the hot baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the edges are crisp. The tart is traditionally eaten warm, but it’s great cold too.
*Chestnut flour can be bought in health shops and online. For tapioca starch, try your supermarket or a Chinese grocery store.
** Guar gum is a very powerful thickening agent made from guar beans. You can find it in powdered form online and in health food shops.

6 comments:

Josie said...

I haven't seen this show, but it sounds like exactly my kind of thing!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Carole Poirot said...

I saw it when it first came out on the BBC and have to admit that I was rather impressed. It was really nice to see a "tv chef" who didn't have a £100.000 kitchen the size of my flat and she seemed to keep it all very real :-) Lovely post xo

InesMrs.Venus said...

Good Morning, Darling,

I just remembered my stays in Paris this morning, reading another blog with a Paris theme. Oh I was just twenty something and I have nice photos in a book. Ines in front of the Arc de Triomphe...
I love the french style being a woman... My foodstyle is vegan, so the french kitchen is not in my list...

Great pics!!!

Love, Ines

Supergirl said...

Labai grazu:)

Fashion art and other fancies said...

I adore cooking. Especially in my Parisian kitchen. XX

Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

Happy Monday, Taj! Just catching up on a couple of posts since I've been crazy busy ... I've never seen this cooking show! Now I'm going to look it up to see when it comes on and DVR it. I so love cooking, baking and entertaining. When we bought this historical house, the kitchen was in pretty rough shape and we knew it would need to be gutted and a pretty new white one put in. Because there were so many other jobs to be done first in the house (new floors on first floor, removing wallpaper, new drywall in some rooms, etc. etc. etc. we put the kitchen on the backburner and have been eating out A LOT and only using the kitchen for not much more than pouring a bowl of cereal! We're now approaching the time to begin the big kitchen project (thank goodness!) and I can't wait. Maybe I can pretend I'm actually cooking when watching The Little Paris Kitchen until then ;) xoxo ~S

SANDY M Illustration
http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...